Gulf South was created in the 1930’s when five
major groups, representing more than 40 power, fuel and utility companies,
merged to form a holding company named the United Gas Corporation. In
1937, the corporation was restructured and condensed into three basic
divisions: production, transmission and distribution. The
transmission division was christened United Gas Pipe Line Company. On January
19, 1940, United Gas Pipe Line became the first pipeline company to handle one
billion cubic feet of natural gas in one day and on July 6, 1949, United Gas Corporation
was listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
Over the years, United Gas Pipeline was acquired
by a number of companies: Pennzoil (1965), MidCon Corporation (1986), LaSalle
Energy Corporation (1987) and Koch Industries, Inc. (1992). In August 1993, United
Gas was renamed Koch Gateway Pipeline, and in 2001, Koch contributed Koch
Gateway Pipeline to a joint venture with Entergy Corporation, re-christening
the pipeline as Gulf South Pipeline Company. In December 2004, Loews
Corporation purchased Gulf South Pipeline.